Byerly’s 71 France and Summit Orthopedics recognized at Best in Real Estate Awards
Thursday, April 17th, 2014
The 15th annual MSPBJ Best in Real Estate awards recognizes the top developments of the year.
This year, Pope Architects was honored to have two projects featured in the program, including Byerly’s 71 France Development and Summit Orthopedics Vadnais Heights.
Byerly’s 71 France
[ Retail and Hospitality Development ]
Lunds is redeveloping their 9.67 acre site at the southeast quadrant of France Avenue and Hazelton Road in Edina, presently occupied by a Byerly’s store s built in the early 1970s for a different customer and a different blend of grocery activity.
The proposed redevelopment creates a new 48,000 square foot Byerly’s store, scaled to fit local customer needs, with an emphasis on high-demand products. The new store includes a café with indoor and outdoor seating, a covered walk-way leading to the store entry, and many state-of-the-art sustainability features throughout.
In addition to the new Byerly’s store, there will be an additional 22,000 square feet of new retail space for third-party tenants as part of the ground-level platform of a proposed 246 unit six-story multi-family housing development. This entire redevelopment will be called 71 France.
This redevelopment of a 40-year old functionally obsolete grocery store into a signature home for an Edina-based legacy company optimizes the utilization of prime France Avenue property and illustrates the potential when public and private partners collaborate. With the cooperation of neighboring property owners, the engaged guidance of a visionary city, and the help of a talented team of architects, contractors, and advisors, Lund Food Holdings, Inc. is proud to bring “71 France” to life.
- General Contractor: Anderson Companies
- Architect: Pope Architects, Inc.
- Interior Designer: Shea, Inc.
- Landscape Architect: Westwood Professional Services
- Structural Engineer: BKBM Engineers
- Civil Engineer: Westwood Professional Services
- Mechanical Engineer: Short Elliott Hendrickson
- Electrical Engineer: Short Elliott Hendrickson
Summit Orthopedics Vadnais Heights
[ Medical Clinic ]
The new Summit Orthopedics Vadnais Heights Clinic is on 7.5 acres in the St. Paul suburb. The new facility consolidates operations of three existing Summit Orthopedics facilities. The new 68,000, two-story Medical Center is located on highly visible site along 35E.
The new Summit Orthopedics medical center introduces some state-of-the-art practices, including a dozen care suites where patients can recover before heading home. This approach helps cut medical costs because patients can avoid hospital stays. Services include orthopedic urgent care suites as well as ambulatory surgery center, clinic services, imaging and physical therapy.
The new development was successfully completed through the collaboration of a comprehensive interior team and exterior team.
- Developer: MSP Commercial
- General Contractor – Interior: RJM Construction
- Architect – Interior: Pope Architects
- Interior Designer: Pope Architects
- Owner’s Representative: S2 Enterprises
- General Contractor – Exterior: Welsh Construction
- Architect – Exterior: Genesis Architecture
- Broker Representing Summit: Cushman & Wakefield Northmarq
- Mechanical Engineer: Gilbert Mechanical
- Electrical Engineer: Hunt Electric