Remembering the life of Carlyle A. “Skip” Sorensen
Monday, June 24th, 2013
Pope Architects remembers and celebrates the life and career of Carlyle “Skip” Sorensen — a long time and influential member of our Pope family.
On June 21, 2013, Skip passed away peacefully surrounded by family. As Director of Housing and Aging for Pope, Skip’s depth of expertise and knowledge of senior housing and architecture generated a strong comfort level for his clients. They appreciated the passion and enthusiasm Skip had for his profession.
Skip was instrumental in launching the housing and senior living practice here at Pope Architects, and without him, we simply would not be where we are today in terms of client base and reputation. He was a creative and passionate advocate for quality senior housing, and was always on the lookout for a great site or an opportunity that he could bring to one of our clients.
Over his 46 years in the industry, Skip developed an expertise in the design of senior skilled care, assisted living, independent living and memory care facilities. His project experience included over 21 senior care campuses and 29 care facilities in Minnesota, and over 7,000 units of housing in the Midwest.
Just a few of the many notable projects that Skip helped lead and design included:
- Applewood Pointe of Woodbury, Woodbury, MN
- Boutwell’s Landing, Oak Park Heights, MN
- Ebenezer The Fountains at Hosanna!, Lakeville, MN
- Ebenezer York Gardens, Edina, MN
- Elim Care Valley View Village, Assisted Living, Des Moines, IA
- Grand Arbor by Knute Nelson, Alexandria, MN
- Hutchinson Area Health Care, Harmony River Living Center, Hutchinson, MN
- Presbyterian Homes, McKenna Crossing at Shepherd’s Path, Prior Lake, MN
- Presbyterian Homes, Norris Square Senior Housing, Cottage Grove, MN
- Volunteers of America, The Homestead at Anoka, Anoka, MN
- Guardian Angels Campus, Elk River, MN
- Guardian Angels Albertville Campus, Albertville, MN
- Presbyterian Homes, McKnight Care Center, Arden Hills, MN
- Cardinal Pointe of Faribault, Faribault, MN
Skip was a true humanitarian, and will be greatly missed by all here at Pope Architects.
Visitation will be June 26 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM at Peterson-Grimsmo Chapel, 250 East Broadway, Monticello. Burial will be Thurs., June 27th at 11:00 AM at St. Henry Catholic Church, 1001 East 7th Street, Monticello.
Memorials are preferred to the family or Guardian Angels of Elk River.
Further details are available on his obituary online.