St. Paul Former Hamm’s Brewery Development Selection
Wednesday, December 14th, 2022
Our team is thrilled to share the news that the City of St. Paul has recommended JB Vang Partners as the tentative developer for the original Hamm’s Brewery Complex redevelopment.
JB Vang’s development team includes Weis Builders, New History, Landon Group and Pope Design Group. The team submitted a proposal to the City earlier this year, and presented the development plan and process this fall to the City.
The selection committee, which included staff from several City departments, selected JB Vang based on their proposal and vision for the East Side site. JB Vang is a developer of housing, commercial and historic rehab projects based in St. Paul.
The proposal from JB Vang considered the cultural and economic needs of the neighborhood and offered the largest number and greatest variety of affordable housing types and a balance of residential and commercial uses. Multiple opportunities for wealth building through homeownership and entrepreneurship are also part of the plan.
“This development combines affordable housing with mixed-use opportunities, providing residents and entrepreneurs the ability for future ownership,” said Mayor Melvin Carter. “We are revitalizing a historically significant part of our City while engaging our residents throughout the decision-making process.”
The team’s proposed Hamm’s Brewery development project includes:
- 259 affordable housing units, with one- and two-bedroom rentals and ownership live/work studios in the renovated brewery complex and family-sized ownership rowhomes and rental apartments in a new construction building;
- 56,000 square feet of commercial space, including a two-story marketplace in the former brewhouse; and
- An outdoor public plaza, indoor community space and greenspace adjacent to Swede Hollow Park and Bruce Vento Trail.
“JB Vang is excited that the City shares our vision of what the Hamm’s site could become—we envision bringing affordable family-friendly housing, creative artist housing, row houses, live/work housing and a vibrant multi-cultural marketplace integrated with Swede Hollow Park,” said J. Kou Vang, President and CEO of JB Vang.
The Housing and Redevelopment Authority will officially vote on awarding tentative developer status to JB Vang in January 2023. Stay tuned for more on this exciting project!
Check out recent articles:
- St. Paul taps JB Vang for Hamm’s redevelopment, Finance & Commerce
- St. Paul picks developer for historic Hamm’s Brewery, Star Tribune
- JB Vang tentatively picked to redevelop old Hamm’s Brewery site in St. Paul, KSTP
- Committee recommends developer for St. Paul’s Hamm’s Brewery, Pioneer Press
- City of St. Paul’s Press Release